SACC-DC is very proud to announce that one of our Board members, Douglas L. Faulkner, was appointed by Governor McDonnell on December 20 to the Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority. Mr. Faulkner has been active for over twenty years in both the public and private sectors promoting clean technologies; he joined the Governor in Sweden during his historic 2012 trade and investment mission from the Commonwealth to the Kingdom. The Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority was created by 2010 state legislation to facilitate, coordinate and support development of the offshore wind energy industry, offshore wind energy projects and supply chain vendors by:
- Collecting metocean and environmental data;
- Identifying regulatory and administrative barriers;
- Working with local, state and federal government agencies to upgrade port and logistics facilities and sites;
- Ensuring development is compatible with other ocean uses, and avian and marine wildlife;
- Recommending ways to encourage and expedite offshore wind industry development.
For more information about the Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority please visit: http://wind.jmu.edu/offshore/vowda/, and for the official announcement, please see below.